Well, you’re in luck. Delta Dental has the largest network of dentists in the United States, larger than any other dental carrier. If you’re a Delta Dental of Virginia subscriber, it’s easy to find a new dentist: just visit our website at DeltaDentalVa.com. But before picking new dentist, make sure to check your Delta Dental ID card to see which Delta Dental plan you have and choose a dentist that participates in your network.
Or, you can log into our secure subscriber site and we’ll do the work for you. After you’ve logged in, you’ll see a list of dentists near you that participate in your network. You can also search for another dentist if you don’t like the options you see.
Now that you’ve found a new dentist that participates in your dental plan, here are some questions to ask when you call to make your appointment:
• What are the office hours? Make sure they’re convenient for your schedule.
• What is the dentist’s educational background and credentials?
• What should you expect during the first exam? Generally, you will have a conversation with the dentist about your health history, any specific concerns, and medications you’re taking. You should receive an exam, a cleaning, and perhaps some X-rays.
• What’s the dentist’s approach to preventive dentistry?
• What type of anesthesia is the dentist certified to administer to help you relax and feel more comfortable during any necessary dental treatment?
• What arrangements are made for handling emergencies outside of office hours? Most dentists make arrangements with a colleague or emergency referral service if they are unable to tend to emergencies.
Use your call as an opportunity to see how the office staff treats you. A friendly staff can help ease anxiety about a dental procedure and make your visit more enjoyable.