Happy Smile Month! Keep your great grin healthy and beautiful by giving yourself a mouth makeover. Here’s how:
- Get a good toothbrush: Both electric and manual toothbrushes work well. Brush at least twice a day and floss daily for a cleaner, healthier mouth.
- See your dentist regularly: Get your teeth professionally cleaned at least twice a year. If you need dental treatment, don’t put it off.
- Keep your teeth safe during sports: If you participate in contact sports, wear protective gear and a mouthguard to keep your smile free of injury.
- Limit sugary drinks, coffee and red wine: Sugar in soda, juices and energy drinks combines with the bacteria in your mouth and can lead to tooth decay. Coffee, tea and red wine can stain teeth not only on their surface, but internally on the enamel. It may look silly, but consider drinking your red wine with a straw. It will help reduce tooth decay and stains on your teeth.
- Drink water: Water helps keep teeth clean and flushes away food particles that can stick to and linger between your teeth. Water is better for your teeth than sugary drinks.
- See the doctor as well as the dentist: Do you have health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease or high blood pressure? Other health problems can contribute to tooth decay and gum disease. Make sure you see your doctor regularly and take your medication properly so your condition is under control. Your teeth will benefit too.
- Smile often: A beautiful smile engages family, friends and even strangers. Share your smile – you’ll likely get one in return.