July 6th is International Kissing Day! According to Guinness World Records, the longest kiss lasted 58 hours, 35 minutes and 58 seconds.
Would your significant other want to engage in a record-breaking ‘kissathon’? Maybe! But what exactly makes a kissable mouth? Follow our kissable tips and your sweetie may want to set the new record for locking lips.
1. Banish bad breath. Do you really want your honey to cringe when you lean in for a kiss? The American Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth at least twice a day. Brushing your tongue and roof of your mouth can also help remove odor-causing bacteria. When you’ve finished brushing, don’t forget to floss at least once a day.
2. Whiten your teeth. What makes lips stand out more than a pearly white smile? Sparkling white teeth are the perfect complement to kissable lips. There are several at-home whitening kits that reveal whiter teeth in as little as two weeks. There are also toothpastes that have added whitening agents. Make sure to check with your dentist to see if you’re a candidate for bleaching. Click here for more information on whitening.
3. Exfoliate your lips. Toothbrushes aren’t just for teeth. Exfoliate your lips with a sugar scrub using a soft bristle toothbrush.
4. Steer clear of cigarettes. No one wants to kiss an ashtray! Not only is smoking the leading cause of oral cancer, it can also leave brown tar stains on your teeth. And, over time, lip lines and wrinkles will form on the edges of your mouth.
5. Finish your smooch off by applying a hydrating lip balm. Reapply throughout the day to prevent flaky, chapped lips.
6. Before you pucker up, pop in a piece of sugarless gum. Gum can help promote saliva production, which rinses your mouth while freshening your breath. Look for gum that has the ADA seal and remember not to smack!