It’s 3 a.m. You are sleeping peacefully dreaming of a beautiful grassy meadow filled with beautiful flowers.
Why after such peaceful dreaming do you feel so tired in the morning?
You also notice your jaw feels awfully sore and you have a hard time opening your mouth to eat your apple for breakfast. Why is that you ask? Well, it could be that you clench or grind your teeth at night. Clenching and grinding your teeth often disturbs your sleep and can cause you pain during the day.
April is Stress Awareness Month. We know that high stress levels contribute to teeth grinding. To help combat this oral health disaster, here are 5 ways to help reduce your stress and pain:
1) Go for a walk – Exercise and nature do wonders for relieving stress.
2) Get a hobby – Get crafty and find a hobby you enjoy to help your mind think about something else besides work and your to-do list.
3) Practice meditation – Centering your body with stretches and breathing techniques help melt away the stress.
4) Start a stress journal – Document your triggers, what your reaction is and the outcome. You may find you stress out unnecessarily.
5) Rediscover your sense of humor – Read a humorous book, watch a TV sitcom or tell funny jokes with your family. A sense of humor will go a long way when you are stressed out!
There are many ways to help reduce your stress. The trick is finding what works for you. Make this a priority, and get back to having a good night’s sleep without giving your jaw a workout.